Butternut Squash Chil
- 2 lbs. butternut squash, peeled & diced into ½ inch chunks
- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 15 oz. can black beans, drained
- 15 oz. can pinto beans, drained
- 1½ cups vegetable broth + 2 TBSP for sautéing
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ TSP paprika
- ½ TSP cinnamon
- 1/4 TSP salt
- 1/4 TSP pepper
- cilantro for garnish
Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable broth in a 5-quart dutch oven or pot over medium heat.
Add garlic, chipotles, and butternut squash to the pot, cooking for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more vegetable broth if the pot gets dry.
Add the bell pepper, cooking for about 5 minutes.
Add black beans, pinto beans, diced tomatoes (including the liquid in the can), 1.5 cups vegetable broth, quinoa, and all of the spices (paprika, cinnamon, salt, pepper). Mix well. Bring to a simmer and let simmer for 10 minutes. Check that the butternut squash is cooked; if not, simmer for longer.
Serve in a bowl and garnish with cilantro. Add toppings as desired — avocado chunks or plain greek yogurt are delicious!