Ground Turkey,Tomato & Olive Pockets
- 4-5 medium-sized potatoes (about 1.5 lb)
- 1 tbsp potato starch 3 tbsp tapioca flour (more if needed)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano (optional)
- 1/2 – 1 tsp water (if needed)
Tomato sauce ingredients:
- 1/2 cup tomato paste 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 3-4 tbsp water
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lbs. ground Turkey 1 small tomato, finely diced
- ½ can organic pinto beans
- 1/3 cup finely diced zucchini
- 5-6 olives, finely diced
- 2-3 basil leaves, finely chopped
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Place the potatoes in a large pot fitted with a steaming basket. Add a few inches of water and steam until soft, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove and cool for 10-15 minutes, until cool enough to handle.
- Place the potatoes in a large, flat-bottomed bowl or pot and mash until they are broken down. Add the sea salt, pepper, potato starch, tapioca flour, oregano and basil, and mash until the flour and starch are well combined.
- (If the mixture is very dry, add a bit of warm water. If the mixture is very wet, add a bit more tapioca flour.The dough should be pliable and not stick to your fingers. Set aside while you make the filling. )
- Make the tomato sauce by combining the tomato paste, dried oregano, dried thyme, raw honey, water and salt and pepper in a bowl and mixing until uniform. Set aside.
- Make the filling by combining the diced tomato, zucchini, olives, basil, pinot beans sea salt and black pepper in a bowl and mixing well.
- Brown ground turkey, add to filling.
- To make the pockets, take a handful of the potato mixture and roll it into a ball. Flatten the sides out so that there is a cavity in the middle, then add a couple teaspoons of the tomato sauce and filling. Close the pocket gently and smooth out any creases. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place a non-stick pan over medium-low heat and spray with a bit of avocado oil (optional). Add the pockets and cook for 5-10 minutes on either side, until browned and crispy. You can bake them in the oven at 350F for an additional 20 minutes if you want them even more crispy.
Makes: 4-5 servings